The motor/gearbox assembly is held in place from underneath with two brass screws which can be accessed when the wheels are removed;
The motor removed;
The motor brushes were removed for cleaning;
The two sides are held together by 10BA screws, the lower ones being countersunk;
Note the contrate gear, unusual in the model railway world.
The unit stripped and cleaned;
For cleaning I used lighter fluid and cotton buds on the whole, although the spur gear attached to the right hand side did have a squirt of Muc-Off and a rinse under the tap.
Here it is cleaned and re-assembled;
Note that there's a screw missing at the top right, above the brushes. The screw holes in the sides don't line up with the hole in the upper motor casting, I suspect that it's always been missing. Since taking the photo above I've used a 12BA screw to take the place of the missing one. I also noted that the unit has been stripped down before.
I lubricated it with clock oil, making sure to soak the felt pads, there's one hidden away at the non-brush end of the motor that can't be accessed without removing one side. I haven't removed the spur gear from the motor shaft, I believe that these can wear and can be removed, reversed and refitted, mine has little appreciable wear so I left it alone. As a rule I prefer to do as little to old motors as possible, they can be quite temperamental when disturbed. At the moment the motor is clamped into a vice and spinning away.
Whilst I was sorting the motor I cleaned the body and main chassis casting under the tap with a toothbrush and hand soap. The next job will be to sort out the driving wheels, which I fear will not be easy.
Paul.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to leave comments but please note that due to spam issues they are subject to moderation and therefore unlikely to appear immediately. Don't let that put you off though.
Spam never gets published but does make me laugh! Anonymous comments don't get published either.
If you're an engineering company trying to use this blog for free advertising, ask yourself this. What have you got to offer me in return for having your website link published?
And whilst your reading this, everything I post is subject to copyright.