If you own a lathe sooner or later you'll need a bench grinder, not only for sharpening existing tools but also for grinding up new ones. Living in a small terraced cottage with no suitable outbuildings to store and use such a tool posed a problem, temporarily solved by the lend of a small Wickes brand grinder from a woodturner friend (thanks Stuart). This was mounted on a plank (actually a shelf) so that it could be clamped onto a Workmate, which worked rather well as it could be used in the garden. So when the time came to return the borrowed grinder I had an idea of the size of machine that I wanted and had solved the problem of using it without getting grinding dust in the house. Of course using a power tool in the garden means that I can only use it on dry days.
A trip to Machine Mart in Sheffield saw the purchase of a 6" wheel Clarke CBG6RZ. I could have bought a less powerfull machine as my lathe only uses 6mm square cutting tools, but at some stage I might need to grind something larger;
The first job was to bolt it to a piece of 18mm plywood so that it could be clamped onto my Workmate;
Then the tool rest and gaurds were bolted in place. The eyeshield gaurd bracket is held in place with a screw and a washer;
I wasn't impressed with the supplied M5 washers, so for added security I've replaced them with penny washers;
I'll be swapping that crosshead screw with a cap head before long as well.
Here it is ready for use;
I've already got a few jobs lined up for it.
Paul.
That looks like a very handy bit of kit. As is the B&D Workmate, essential, I'd say! I thought of you yesterday as we passed a nifty little road-rail machine at Roman bridge. I was too tired to photo it, but will be going back tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteVery handy indeed, although I've yet to use it. Its actually been sitting around for nearly two months, but I've only just found time to assemble it.
DeleteThat Workmate is over 25 years old! One of the best DIY inventions ever? As for road/railers, I missed a smart little buggy recently which sat in Buxton for a few days. By the time I went to photograph it it was gone otherwise it would have featured on here.