Tuesday, 14 December 2021

'Missing funnel, needs a service, £5'

 The above was written on a zip-lock bag in amongst a pile of random train stuff at a local toy and train fair. In that bag was this;



An 'ornby R255 0-4-0 Passenger Loco, dating from 1976/77. The description seemed fair, the price very, and as it had the later can motor chassis with plated wheels I just couldn't resist handing over a five pound note.

I removed the body so that I could inspect the chassis, which looked to be pretty sound although the wheels needed a good clean;



So I held it upside down in a vice and applied power using one crocodile clip on the coupling and the other on the pick up wire and went to work with cotton buds and lighter fluid, not only on the wheels but also the chassis block itself. At the same time all moving parts were lubricated, including the crank pins. Soon I had a sweet running unit. I also straightened out those bent couplings.

The body was washed under the tap with warm soapy water and a toothbrush. There's some damage, apart from the obvious missing chimney, but it scrubbed up well enough. There's a buffer head missing at the rear, the rainstrips are damaged, there's some paint chipping, and there's a step missing at the front. All of which, except for the chimney, is quite usual on these locos.

A new chimney was turned from brass. I polished the cap with Brasso but blackened the middle section with Birchwood Casey brass black.



At some stage I might turn up a new buffer head.


It could also do with a drop of paint here and there, but at the moment I have no gloss black so that job can wait.


I'm quite pleased with this, its kept me amused for a few hours and runs well on the Christmas trainset that sits under the tree. And, even if the body was scrap the chassis is worth having, being a nice smooth runner.

A fiver well spent I'd say.


Paul.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great. Cleaned up really well and the chimney blends in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I haven't done much modelling at all this year, so this was a nice little project to get me back into the hobby. And a good excuse to get the lathe out!

      Delete

Feel free to leave comments but please note that due to spam issues they are subject to moderation and therefore unlikely to appear immediately. Don't let that put you off though.
Spam never gets published but does make me laugh! Anonymous comments don't get published either.
If you're an engineering company trying to use this blog for free advertising, ask yourself this. What have you got to offer me in return for having your website link published?
And whilst your reading this, everything I post is subject to copyright.