Tuesday, 22 April 2014

A cheap surface table.

We modellers often need a flat surface to work on, and on that surface we might also need to assemble parts at right angles. Plate glass is nice and flat and makes an ideal surface to work on, being easy to clean glue off and doesn't rust or tarnish after contact with flux.
So I took a walk down to the local builders merchant and spent three pounds odd on a 7" x 10" piece of glass. A piece of 4mm MDF, left over from an abandoned micro layout, was cut to size for the bottom. The two were taped together with masking tape (which helps protect hands from the glass edges) with a sheet of graph paper, to help when squaring things up, sandwiched between them. Job done.





Before assembly I used a diamond whetstone to lightly chamfer the glass edges.

I make no claim to originality, this idea was lifted straight from the Wills Finecast Illustrated Modellers Guide booklet, which dates back to 1982, cost one pound, and was written by Iain Rice, who had a hand designing the Wills scenic range. Rice has inspired me ever since.

Paul.

7 comments:

  1. I quite often use a small 'clip frame' glass pane when cutting masking tape for precision lining, as it gives a nice crisp edge. This looks an excellent idea too Paul ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think of using a clip frame, but couldn't find one in town. Sometimes I miss Woolworths!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just used a piece of plain glass from an old flat bed scanner up until now but your idea with the graph paper makes good sense.
    like most tips it's these simple but effective ones that are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very simple person Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The graph paper is a very neat development of the idea, as Frank says, simple and effective. Your mention of Woolies brought back a long-dormant memory of a counter in the Ashton under Lyne branch, probably 1971, stacked with endless lines of Airfix kits,Humbrol paints etc. Can't see Wilkinson's doing that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of these I made when a cheap Wilko's picture frame disintegrated, fortunately the glass and MDF were undamaged. Mind you some of their frames cost little more than £3 to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When the local Woolworths closed down I was hoping that Wilkinsons would step in, not that I like Wilko, but it is a cheap source of Araldite and other hardware odds. Instead we get yet another cheapo outdoor clothing outlet.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments but please note that due to spam issues they are subject to moderation and therefore unlikely to appear immediately. Don't let that put you off though.
Spam never gets published but does make me laugh! Anonymous comments don't get published either.
If you're an engineering company trying to use this blog for free advertising, ask yourself this. What have you got to offer me in return for having your website link published?
And whilst your reading this, everything I post is subject to copyright.