I decided on a livery of all over green with red buffer beams, applied with my airbrush.
Humbrol acrylic paints were chosen, gloss Brunswick Green and satin Signal Red. The gloss/satin finishes will be lost at the final stage when the model will be varnished.
I used de-ionised water as a thinner, but I wasn't happy with the performance of the paint. Despite being apparently well thinned it didn't flow through the airbrush as well as the Tamiya paint that I've used recently, in fact I had to up the pressure on the compressor a couple of times when spraying, ending up spraying at about 22-24psi. This might be down to the way I've thinned the paint, or it could be that I used only water to thin. If I were to use Humbrol again I may try screenwash as an alternative.
I'm not overly happy with the finish, which is mainly down to the poor print rather than my painting, certainly the parts that I've added (bufferbeams and frames) have a smoother finish than the main body. I was never going to get a decent finish on the body, so I'm afraid that its just going to have to do as it is. The detail on the axleboxes however has come up rather well.
The next job will be to do any touching up required and to paint the cab interior, by brush, before final detailing and finishing.
Paul.
Saturday, 25 April 2020
2 comments:
Feel free to leave comments but please note that due to spam issues they are subject to moderation and therefore unlikely to appear immediately. Don't let that put you off though.
Spam never gets published but does make me laugh! Anonymous comments don't get published either.
If you're an engineering company trying to use this blog for free advertising, ask yourself this. What have you got to offer me in return for having your website link published?
And whilst your reading this, everything I post is subject to copyright.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm finding that Humbrol acrylic needs LOTS of thinning with cheap car windscreen wash, but can spreay well. Handy if you need to eek out a nearly empty pot!
ReplyDeleteThanks Phil, that's handy to know. I'll have a look for some next time I'm filling the van up.
Delete